UPDATED | August Meetings 8/12, 8/14 and Save the Date!
Be flexible. Look ahead to what’s on the horizon. Steer around hidden obstacles. Advocate, but avoid being “that parent.” Nurture growth. Be ready for the new year.
TOPIC | Where the Compass Leads: Guiding GT Kids – Download Flyer (color or grayscale .pdf)
WHEN | MONDAY 8/12, 6:00 – 7:30 pm – and – WEDNESDAY 8/14, 6:00 – 7:30 pm
WHERE | Stillwater Public Library, Margaret Rivers A – Upper Level
St. Croix Valley Gifted invites you to two events in mid August to help chart the journey ahead.
- MON 8/12 we will focus on Elementary GT pathways, ex., choosing Kindergarten, local enrichment options, identification for GT services, asynchronous development, finding peers, weaving learning with play, trusting your observations, seeking informed guidance, MN statutes and acceleration policy, navigating common obstacles — your questions will guide our discussion!
- WED 8/14 shifts focus to Middle & High School GT pathways, including gaps in access to services, supporting students as self-advocates, social emotional well-being, making sense of AP / CIS / PSEO, identifying constructive alternatives, college entrance — including ACT / SAT & PSAT exams — students you’re invited along for this one!
Looking for Details about GT Conversation with MN Legislators?
As those become available, watch for a new post at our website. Contact us to receive an email when related events are finalized. St. Croix Valley Gifted is not coordinating legislator conversations, but the event sponsors are keeping us informed. We’ve also made the draft legislation that was in committee during the previous session available to review.
UPDATE 2! Live in MN Senate District 53 (Kent) or House District 39B (Christensen)? THURS 8/29 you’re invited to participate in a listening session in Woodbury; time & location being finalized. Other Woodbury area legislators who represent regions that overlap with ISD833 and ISD622 also will be present.
UPDATE 1: Missed the TUES 8/6 conversation with Rep. Bob Dettmer (39A)? Consider a letter or email instead. Please aim to send related written communication by FRIDAY 9/6 and, if you are willing, cc: or forward your note to email@example.com. Contact information for area legislators serving communities within ISD 834 is available at the school district website.
We will update these events in coming weeks as MDE’s Fall GT workshop schedule is published. You can also subscribe to our chapter newsletter, which arrives monthly during the school year. Our Summer edition is on the way in early August!
- SAT 8/17 – MCGT Annual Picnic | 11:30 am – 1:30 pm @ Cherokee Park in St. Paul – Members RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- SAT 9/7 – MCGT Mini-Conference: Acceleration & Talent | 9am – Noon @ Edina Community Center, visit our post for speaker & registration details
- SUN 10/6 – St. Croix Valley GT Parent Q&A Panel | 2:00 – 4:00pm @ Stillwater Public Library
- SAT 11/2 – 2019 MCGT Annual Conference | Featuring keynote speaker Alonzo Kelly & youth programs, Call for Presenters and Youth Programs now in progress